Does Name Bring Your Fate?

Recently I browse in internet to find my own name, whether it is exist or not, and surprisingly I found so many names, of course including mine. There are lots of people named Mardiningsih, which is I never imagine. Since long time ago when I was a child, I always feel that my name is rather strange. But I am quite confident because it’s similar or even taken from my Dad’s name, Mardiyanto. Beside lots Indonesian names such as Sri Mardiningsih, Endang Mardiningsih, Nining Mardiningsih, Suci Mardiningsih, etc there two interesting Mardiningsih. These two are Mardiningsih Olivia Nowak, which is an actress  and Mardiningsih Arquette, a poet and myth-maker and they aren’t Indonesian. It’s really surprising since I always believe that Mardiningsih is Indonesian names. Or do they have any relationship with Indonesian? May be their parents or grandparents or grand grandparents are Indonesian?
Well, today I wanna write every things about name or given name. Our name is given by our parents or someone else who know us. We couldn’t choose our name, because at the time we realize whether we like our name or not our name has been registered and it’s not easy to change it. Besides, it’s certainly not polite to change our name. Changing our name will hurt our parents. But, it also happens to several people with certain condition. Here I will tell you some reasons why people change their names.
I found the first reason for changing the name is to remove the bad luck or bad fate. In Javanese culture, parents will change their child’s name for this reason. They usually go to the ‘Orang Pintar’ or ‘Pak Kyai’ when there is a problem with their child, such as having a very naughty child, children who always suffer serious and continuous illness etc. the ‘orang pintar’ or ‘Pak kyai’ usually will suggest them to change the kid’s name and say that the original name is not suitable because it’s too heavy or too great or because it doesn’t match with kid’s personality. The changing name could be permanently or just temporarily.
Another reason for changing the name is to fulfill the certain condition. I’ll give an example for this. My father only had short name and when he was studying in high school his teacher told the class that it’s better to have at least two names. So my dad added one more name after his given name. Then he used both names as his real name in all his documentations. It only happens in old times and I guess it never happens nowadays because most people have long and modern names.
The next reason for changing name is to have pen name or Pseudonyms. In the past, most authors used pen names instead of their real names. For example an American writer, William Sydney Porter who is known as O Henry, Max Havelaar writer- Eduard Douwes Dekker who is more famous with his pen name Multatuli, or Samuel Clemens' writing under the pen name Mark Twain. Nowadays more people are using pseudonyms in their accounts such as Face book, Blog, Black berry messenger, Whatssap, Line, Path, Twitter, Instagram or other social media.
The last reason for people to change their names is probably for making them better. Some people maybe feel that their names aren’t cool nor have good meaning. As we often heard that name is a pray, so while some parents maybe did some mistakes when giving names to their kids and then they want to change them with better names. One of my friend told me that there is a girl named ‘Seribu Derita’ or in English means ‘thousands anguish’ and she is really suffering in her life. If I knew her I would suggest her to change her name.
But, is it true that a name means a pray and good name will guarantee good fate? I don’t think so. Well I believe that one’s name is a pray or hope from parents to their child, but it’s not a guarantee to bring our fate. I know many people named ‘Sugiharto’ (‘sugih means rich and ‘arto means money) who isn’t rich. And not all Slamet (slamet means safe) is safe all his life. What I’m trying to say is that whatever is your name, it depends on you whether you will have good or bad fate, you will have a happy life or live in misery.  Whatever your name, whenever you strive for better life, do your best, always be positive and pray to God, you will reach your dreams. Remember that you couldn’t blame your name for your bad luck, because God has promised us that God will never change someone’s fate unless he/she changes it him/herself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indonesian Vegetables

A Magic Leaf Called 'Sambung Nyawa'

Khasiat Daun Pulutan